[Dixielandjazz] Fw: "Jazz Radio" gripe

Larry Weil kc1ih at mac.com
Mon Jun 23 16:43:39 PDT 2003

At 11:52 AM 6/23/2003 -0700, Robert S. Ringwald wrote:

> > Several decades ago, innumerable pop and easy listening stations decided
> > it was fashionable to play several tracks in a row without announcing the
> > names of the songs and artists until the end of the set. The boast was "We
> > play more uninterrupted music." That's okay for Top 40 tunes or music to
> > chew gum by in an elevator or a supermarket. But unfortunately, it has
> > become standard practice on many jazz radio programs.
> >
> > The effect is not a trivial matter. Jazz fans are deprived of basic
> > information. The name recognition of jazz musicians is diminished. The
> > viability of record companies is threatened. This is especially true  in
> > the case of lesser known artists and small labels.

Some of this may have to do with copyrights and internet broadcasting.  The
rules governing internet broadcasting prohibit announcing a song before it
plays, so as to prevent an internet lister from digitally capturing a song
as soon as starts since the listener knows it's coming.  Thus, if the
station is streaming, they can post-announce but they can't pre-announce.

Since much jazz is broadcast on non-commercial stations, and they are the
ones that are still streaming in many cases, this could be a significant
factor in this problem.  Of course, what was originally posted is probably
still part of the problem, I just thought this additional info might cast
some light on the situation.

--
Larry Weil
Lake Wobegone, NH