[Dixielandjazz] Re: California here I come & Smokers

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jun 23 15:01:12 PDT 2003

Hi Larry & List Mates:

Welcome to the DJML. Please take my previous post with a grain of salt. If you
enjoy the DJML then please stay on it. It is made up of a diverse group of music
lovers who like Dixieland, Trad Jazz, Swing etc., and call it OKOM. Many times we
disagree with each other, about the music, the opinions, etc., but I think we all
respect each other when push comes to shove.

Regarding venues, please understand that the musician has little, if any, control
over the venue. Some are smoke free, some are smoky, Some are quiet, some are
noisy. All we can do is try to adapt.

And many times, we have no idea if the venue is smoky, smoke free, quiet or noisy
until we are there also. And some of us suffer either way right along with the
smokers and/or the non-smokers, or the talkers and the non-talkers.

I remember a case in point about a prestigious jazz club venue here in the East
that all the guys in my band wanted very much to play in. Tried for 3 years to
get us there. Finally did, and it turned out to be very noisy, as well as very
smoky. Then everybody in the band bitched to me about the environment. There is
no winning in a situation like that.

However, the audience loved us and now we play this venue a few times a year. The
guys all brag about it to peers and fans, yet bitch to me about it.  Go Figure.

What do I answer? Simple "Mr Sideman, I'm not holding a gun to your head and
forcing you to play this gig. Don't want to be here, OK, let me know a couple of
weeks in advance and I'll get a sub."  Easy to do because we are the workingist
jazz band in our area, Philadelphia, and jazz musicians line up to play as subs
in the "A" band, or in other band versions that I book when we have simultaneous
gigs.

I do feel the same way about our audience. I am not forcing anyone to listen to
us. My philosophy is pretty basic. Don't like what you hear, OK, don't listen. I
guess my post reflected that. It works for us, because we have figured out how to
promote as well as connect with the audience.

Stick around and join in the fun.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone