[Dixielandjazz] Art Tatum Still King

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jun 22 02:01:24 PDT 2003

Jazzjerry at aol.com wrote: (polite snip)

> I was referring to Art Tatum I'm afraid. To me he is not the 'King' and never
> will be. To me he is over-flowery and often put his undeniable amazing
> technique above his musical feeling. I can think of dozens of piano players who I
> would rather listen to than Tatum. But then I am a musical illiterate who puts
> jazz feeling before musical skill in my selection of jazz players.
>
> Jelly Roll Morton, Teddy Wilson, Fats Waller, James P. Johnson, Pete Johnson,
> and even Arizona Dranes come higher on my listening list than Tatum but then
> as I can't read music or play any instrument how do I count!

Well, like John Farrell says, likes and dislikes are in the ear of the listener,
whether or not one plays an instrument. I reckon you count like anyone else. I think
John summed up Tatum a lot better than I can.

> By the way who is Anthuro Sandoval? I have never sold one of his albums or
> for that matter ever been asked for one.

Many who appreciate music consider Mr, Arturo Sandoval the finest trumpet player in
the world today. Suggest you buy the CD "Trumpet Evolution" and hear why. Folks in
the UK cannot be that far behind the curve, or can they?

Maybe you can reap a fortune with a little marketing effort, by making his music
available to the "civilized" world. ;-)

Cheers,
Steve Barbone