[Dixielandjazz] Dementia

fred spencer drjz at bealenet.com
Sat Jun 21 14:25:16 PDT 2003

  Thanks Stan.One more flawed report to be welcomed by the nation of
hypochondriacal pillpushers that we have become, thanks to the media,
especially the unethical, free-sampled, dollar-producing TVcommercials
of drug firms! Although I would have to read all this dementia paper,
one obvious fault is that the sample is too small for the conclusion to
be drawn -- another is that there was no control group, i.e. a  matched
group of people who did not indulge in the activities of the
experimental group, and who may have done equally well. The length of
 patient participation is also questionable, because half of the
participants were followed for more, and half for less, than the "median
5.1 years". The last sentence says it all--"Controlled trials are needed
to assess the protective effect of cognitive leisure activities on the
risk of dementia." Why didn't the nine [?publish or perish!] authors do
that, and why did the New England Journal of Medicine publish an
admittedly incomplete investigation in its hallowed columns?
Play and dance if you enjoy it, but don't think you are going to become
demeted if you don't. Be of good cheer!
Fred