[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 6, Issue 32

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 21 14:13:22 PDT 2003

> Jim Beebe wrote re my Sandoval post
>
> > If you like trumpet, or like jazz, hear this one and be awed. Run out
> > and buy it right now. WOW.
>
>    Steve, I am awed by the originals...not the copies.   What is the point in
> buying this when you can get the originals?

Hi List mates & Jim:

I agree 100%, the originals are the thing to hear, not copies. Those that merely
copy leave me cold too.

However, perhaps I did not make it clear in the original post: these are NOT
COPIES, but an artist paying homage to the greatness of the original players. He
is communicating their greatness, and the evolution of style, not copying those
seminal original works.Very big difference. The proof is in the listening.
Professionals like Jim will have no trouble hearing the differences.

And what the more casual listener gets (most on  the DJML I think) is a short
course on how the trumpet/cornet/fluegelhorn can be played differently, how the
individual players communicate via those playing differences, and how the music
evolved.

The album is a stunning body of work.

Cheers,
Steve