[Dixielandjazz] Richard Sudhalter

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 14:25:51 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/19/2003 9:59:50 AM Central Standard Time,
barbonestreet at earthlink.net writes:

> Dick Sudhalter had a stroke maybe 2-3 weeks ago, but is doing OK...I
> don't
> think he'll be able to play his horn for a while, and public speaking
> may
> be difficult/not possible for now, as well. Wish I could give you more
> complete report, but thought you'd wanna know."
>
> --Jon-Erik Kellso

  What a shock.  I hope and pray for the very best outcome for Dick.  A great
cornetist and a great writer.

  I had the pleasure a few years back of meeting and playing with Dick when
he came to Chicago and put together a tribute to Hoagy Carmicheal for the
Chicago Jazz Festival.  I kept in touch with him and subsequently provided some
information regarding Clancy Hayes and Hoagy.  Dick was interested in using this
information in his book on Hoagy which he was working on and I was struck by
the meticulous care that he took in checking the information out. Incidentally
, his book on Hoagy, "Stardust Melody", is a winner and a must read by any
serious jazz fan.

Jim Beebe