[Dixielandjazz] Independence Hall JB CD - Now copyright

Jazzjerry at aol.com Jazzjerry at aol.com
Thu Jun 19 04:17:32 PDT 2003

In a message dated 19/6/03 4:16:20, MikeMarois at HireLiveMusicians.com writes:

<< I guess it's all in the contract you cut with them. >>

Hi Mike,

This just about sums it up. In this country and elsewhere it would seem that
a number of the record companies back in the 50s recorded artists and paid
them a flat fee with no royalty deal and the recording contracts stated that the
rights were with the company rather than the performer which simply means that
now the companies which own the label rights which may not be the original
company at all! (Columbia records are owned by Sony of Japan and RCA are owned
by Bertelsmann of Germany) can issue the recordings to their hearts content
with the artist getting any say or money. This didn't just apply to jazz
musicians but to pop as well and I think country etc. etc.

Just to make it clear where I stand. The law in Europe allows for the lapse
in copyright after 50 years from the recording date and therefore the reissue
of anything made prior to that date is quite legitimate and I would support any
releases under this condition. Whether one thinks that 50 years is long
enough is a matter of opinion and really it is up to the lawmakers to make any
changes in this direction. The 50 year rule in Europe has meant that most of the
best jazz from the first half of the 20th Century is generally available.

I am against labels, wherever they may be, issuing recordings which are still
within the copyright laws unless they have a legal right to do so.

This is the distinction I see between legitimate reissue of non-copyright
material and pirate issues of a dubious nature.

Cheers,

Jerry,
Norwich,
U.K.