[Dixielandjazz] Mezz

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Wed Jun 11 13:29:31 PDT 2003

In a message dated 6/3/2003 4:24:59 PM Central Standard Time,
richard.broadie at gte.net writes:

> Mezz was basically a white guy who wished he was born black.  Not a very
> good player but knew lots of people and found himself in many interesting
> situations.
>
> I read the book twice.  The first read was when I was young and
> impressionable.  In later years, re-read was not nearly as good.
>
> Seems like living in the real world for 40 years can change one's
> impressions quite a bit.
>
> Dick

    Exactly my sentiments on Mezz Mesirow's book, " Really the Blues."
    I was terribly influenced by it in my youth to the point that I would
harangue my grandfather, a respected physician, about the virtues of marijuana.
The entire book was one big promotion of pot...and jazz.  I never reread the
book.

   Jim Beebe