[Dixielandjazz] Humorous Music

Paul Reid whadayesay at webtv.net
Tue Jun 10 15:13:03 PDT 2003

Hardly ever does anyone mention the albums, two that I know of on Verve,
of Irving Garner. The Best (or worst) of Irving Garner, and Irving
Garner in concert. An obvious take-off on bad piano players and Erroll
Garner, nicely thrown in for good (and longer or shorter) measures.
      It takes a real gifted musical mind to warp legitimacy into Cayos
such as this. But it's a musical laugh a second which goes on endlessly.
I finally found out from the creator of all this who the responsible
culprit was. What really is ingenious on the Live In Concert Lp is that
the audience applauds for all the mistakes. It has never been re-issued,
to my knowledge, but should be. The Verve label may give you a clue to
who it is. No, not Oscar Peterson. It is one of Ella's best
accompaniest's, Paul Smith. He also has released similer novelty things,
sparsely, on his own label. But mainly MANY good albums of his expert
Jazz playing. Truly, musicaly and physically, a piano giant.

Do I hear a second on this?

Paul