[Dixielandjazz] "Hot" Jazz

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Mon Jun 9 19:50:25 PDT 2003

Jim Beebe mentioned HOT JAZZ as a preferred term for OKOM.  That would
be more obvious than the letters we use to keep out of arguments on
DJML.  Nevertheless, I'm not one to vote against OKOM as I was a bit
involved in its coming to life!  Anyway, who cares, as long as we know
what we are speaking about here.

On our latest (soon to be released!) CD, I mention Hot Jazz in reference
to an old friend's (and one-time member of the band) way of describing
what we play.  He called it Jazz Butano.

Even today, some people still get their gas in their homes by ordering
Butane bottles (most use natural gas in the home, though, now).  The
familiar flaming orange tanks are known by everyone.  They CAN be
explosive....as, also, can we, sometimes.......

By the way, if you want to say Jazz Butano as if from the pueblo (not
really WITH it!), just say Hath Butano.      :>

Jim