[Dixielandjazz] Wow on WING...

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 9 16:52:34 PDT 2003

Listmates,

The question was asked:

>Do you know something we don't, who is Foster Jenkins?

Florence Foster Jenkins was a lovely lady - loved the arts (especially
opera) and fancied herself a soprano of the first order. Her wealthy
husband, deeply in love with Florence, catered to her every whim. For a few
years he would rent out Carnegie Hall for a special recital featuring
Florence.

The recitals were well attended and everyone showed Florence the greatest
respect and always applauded politely at the end of each aria.  Florence
dressed up in these recitals as an angel, complete with gauze wings and a
flowing gossamer gown. It sort of because a "cult" - "In" sort of thing to
attend a Florence Foster Jenkins recital.

Actually, the poor dear could not sing a note and if it weren't for the fact
that she was such a sweet lady the whole concept would never have developed.

See also Mrs. Miller from (I believe) the 50s.

You can't include Jonathan and Darlene Edwards in this genre because they
were actually engaged in a comic put-on deliberately performed to make
people laugh. Foster Jenkins and Mrs. Miller, on the other hand, actually
believed they were blessed with a great talent.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "More Power to Wing" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com