[Dixielandjazz] PEEWEE KIWI

Tom Wood zenith at ans.com.au
Mon Jun 9 20:12:57 PDT 2003

I don't know why but Wing from New Zealand reminded me of a great newspaper headline story a few years ago:

The peewee kiwi incident concerns a different kind of music being presented to a normal audience by an unusual performer.  One year, whilst the band was playing in Edinburgh, Scotland a newspaper headline article about a musical act in the Festival Fringe read 'Pee-Wee Kiwi no great shakes'.  For a bit of light sport some of the band went to the next performance.  Basically it concerned a New Zealand soloist who had developed a mechanical contraption that emitted unusual amplified sounds to present an improvised/avangarde style of music.  For performances the mechanical device was connected to his penis.  He controlled the "water" flow into a series of organ type (excuse the pun) pipes from which the sound was amplified to create his own live (would it be OKOM or perhaps cutting edge?) 'music'.  The boys could not secure any front row seats for his performance and unfortunately had to sit at the back.  The front seats were booked out to interested female music lovers presumably curious about when and how this musical device/instrument was attached to the performer.

When interviewed about his unusual 'organ' the Kiwi performer explained that his greatest concern was always whether he could muster up a 'wee' for each performance commenting that encores were always a worry for him.  [another extract from our band book]

Cheers

Tom Wood

zenith at ans.com.au