[Dixielandjazz] Rememberances of Mike Silverman

Paul Reid whadayesay at webtv.net
Sun Jun 8 13:55:26 PDT 2003

Don,
Thanks so much for adding that on. It"s so true. Mike and Bobbie were
devoted to Rosie (as they were to each other) and were so much a part of
those later years of his. So was Conrad Janus. I even got in on it, for
at least one or two gig's at the West End in Santa Monica.
        Luckily, I set up my camcorder and have that on video. I also
recorded it on minidisc through my stereo mixer and mikes. That Saturday
in Particular had a nice gathering of friends and musicians including
Conrad, Mike Ian Whitcomb myself, Lance MacLean on guitar, C J Samms and
others, with Rosie leading us all through the musical chestnuts and
lesser known gems, like "Tulip Time" from 1922's Zigfield Follies. It
all was splendid.
       Then there was the memorial at West End for Rosie. Mike and
Bobbie were there supporting him, with a wonderful roster of fine
musicians and a devoted audience. Both Rosie (He WAS there in spirit)
and Mike led the way, along with Conrad for all to follow. And wonderful
tribute's as the one's given by Floyd Levin, Don Jones, and, yes,
Bobbie. Fortunately again it's documented on video and audio.
         Mike was at Rosie's birthday celebrations, too, participating
also. Dan Levansen had transcribed the arrangement of "You" from a rare
78 that Rosie had played on, (Actually his first recording.) for The
Nightblooming Jazzmen to play at the party. We were rehearsing in a side
hall at the Fullerton Elks. I had my camcorder on a tripod. But Mike was
there and automatically volunteered to take the video for me, while I
was playing Piano during the Rehearsal. Mike had insight for doing
interesting and good camera work. He was just that way.
         We had a good long standing relationship. Many people never
were privileged to see Mike's private side. It was somewhat different,
more relaxed and laid back from what most of us musicians are geared up
for when doing a gig, and festivals. If one could get into talking, or
bringing up subjects about stuff that he was really into, he could
become quite animated with conversation. It always was worth nurturing
that inward side of him, and bringing it out. Two of his favorite
trumpet players were Harry James and Randy Brooks. His kid's, now grown,
were always his pride and joy, and he loved being close with them. And
yes, he finally became a grandfather. Mike inserted as much into his
life as he possibly could, and was giving to so many of us.
      And things keep coming to mind about him. I know that will go on
endlessly for years. Mike and I were not shy about telling each other;
"I love you".

Respectfully missing "my buddy" Mikey,

Paul