[Dixielandjazz] OK, now that we have established that DJML is working...

david richoux tubaman at batnet.com
Wed Jun 4 18:28:25 PDT 2003

This Thursday (6/5) for no particular reason at all I will be playing
every version of "Sheik of Araby" that I can fit into 2 hours of radio
programming. The Jazz Parade 10AM to Noon Pacific Daylight Time  on
KFJC. We do have a streaming internet connection that usually works
pretty well - go to http://www.kfjc.org/netcast.html  and see if it
works for you.

In doing some web research on this song I see references to a very
early 1920s piano roll and a 1922 recording by Mitchell's jazz Kings on
Pathe but nothing much before that - does anybody have the exact
original publication date by Harry B. Smith / Francois Wheeler / Ted
Snyder? I guess the book "The Sheik" published in 1920 and the
Valentino films that soon followed were the basis of  the popularity of
this song. I also see that most of the Google type search engines focus
on the rare recoded version by the Beatles in 1962...

Dave Richoux