[Dixielandjazz] Sandman Sims - a memory

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Tue Jun 3 16:15:58 PDT 2003

Steve, (and list)

I've been trying to remember the Sandman's name for nearly 43 years.  In
Sept. 1960 (a week or two after my 21st birthday, I attended a benefit jam
session at San Francisco's Coffee Gallery that was held for the recently
burned-out Jazz Cellar (jazz club).  Alto sax genius Pony Poindexter was the
host. (Basie's "Little Pony" is a tribute to him.)  I played briefly on the
first set (on aborrowed bass) when Jimmy Hamilton, Duke Ellington and Jimmy
Rushing came in.    Duke immediately sat in on the piano so I got to finish
one song with him.  Ever since then, I could, perhaps, somewhat
legitimately, claim to have performed with Mr. Ellington.  I knew my
limitations and fled the stage after returning the bass to it's owner
(possibly Leroy Vinegar).   Not too long after Mr. 5x5 sang a few numbers
they started to REALLY jam,   The improvised riffs that day were still the
best I've ever heard. Then Duke invited several black tap dancers to sit in.
>From that point the drummer was virtually on vacation.

Now that you mention his name, I'm quite certain that the Sandman was there.
I believe he got his name by sprinkling sand on the floor and dragging his
feet through it, creating a unique sounding effect.  Somebody told me that
he taught Bo Jangles this trick but I doubt it since he was much younger
than Bo.  But who knows?
I can't describe the competition that took place.  I never saw dancing like
that before or since, be it on film, TV, or live.  I can't find words to
characterize it properly so I won't try.  Perhaps unforgettable is as close
as I can come, but then again, with my current memory, very few things are
truly unforgettable.  Then again I did forget Sandman's name.

Being about the second time in my life that I legally entered a bar (the
first was on Aug. 27 when I watched the Kennedy-Nixon debate in a SF barroom
on the actual date of birthday #21), I must say that I never again found
myself in such company or witnessed a more awe inspiring set of performances
or such an talented random convergence of jazz genius.

Thanks for triggering the above in my mind, Steve.  Sometimies the good
stuff sticks.

Dick Broadie