[Dixielandjazz] Fw: Not Dada

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 3 07:25:08 PDT 2003

Hello Rob,

you done writ:

>we, the other
> > 99%, "aren't willing to push out past the point where 'our' comfortable
> > notions will be challenged (and I'm not saying there's anything wrong
>with
> > that), we "suspect" that people who are willing to accept more risk and
> > change into their lives, lead more interesting lives, but not enough so
>that
> > we jeopardize our stable situation by introducing more change into our
>own
> > lives.  That's all I was saying, just musing at the keyboard.

Let me get this straight. You're saying that only one out of a hundred
people lead worthy lives while the rest of humanity simply live a drab,
miserable, hum-drum existance with no desire at all to bring meaning into
their otherwise worthless and meaningless lives.

Could it be that the actual percentages are closer to 50-50? or 30-70? or
45-65?

Maybe it's only one out of a thousand (or even million) who really live
exciting lives while the rest of humanity wallows in sad, melancholic,
dejected and unfulfilled days without end.

Or perhaps this is all doo-doo and the truth is more like we're all shaped
by forces beyond our control and we simply are what we are. Perhaps the
thing that makes one young, beautiful, exciting and purposeful is actually
beyond our control.

Perhaps it is the case that if the average IQ is 100 then if you have an IQ
of 101 over half the people in your culture are dumber than you.

You know, when I was in college I was sure I was smarter and more vital than
anybody else on the North American Continent. I was really convinced that if
I were only king of the world I would be able to make everyone see how
futile their lives were and how they could enrich themselves and be as
brilliant and perceptive as me.

I few years later it became apparent that I was a total idiot with
absolutely no conception of how the world worked.  Years and years later I
learned that not only was I an idiot, but I was also an arrogant one.

And the most arrogant preachment I could possibly imagine today would be to
claim that only 1% of the people really know what it's all about and that
the other 99% percent are sorry drudges with no perception of the wonders
life has to offer.

Other than that, Rob, you are right on!

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "To Bad You're not all as smart as me!" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com