[Dixielandjazz] DJML is made up of WONDERFUL people

Texasjazzlover rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net
Mon Jun 2 14:39:37 PDT 2003

Dan Augustine wrote:

2) Eatin' and Jammin' with the DJML.
Thursday afternoon about 5 pm <snip> we stop
at 'Beverages and More' to
pick up beverages,  a styrofoam
ice-chest, and some ice.  All is stored in the TRUNK and the outside
temperature is in the upper 90’s.
Finally we reach the parking lot of Cal Expo about 7 pm.

1) Beverages are FINALLY combined with the ice
2) the putative site of the jam-session is at least half a mile
from where we parked,

WE RAMBLED FAR ENOUGH THAT THE BEVERAGES ARE ICE COLD WHEN WE FINALLY REACH
OUR DESTINATION.

I had certainly begun to wonder at this point what we had gotten ourselves
into for the evening.  I was NOT expecting anything like this.  When we
discover that Jan Nichols hadn’t made the trip, my heart sank.  He would
have at least been a welcome sight.

THEN as we settled in under the shade of a tree on a grassy knoll, and the
music started, EVERYTHING was right with the world.  The breeze was gently
blowing
.The music was good even though it was just a jam session with
mistakes, etc.
Even husband Jim got to try his talents on Vicki Cox’s washboard.

 The conversation was pleasant (although a real bother after listening to
the recording of the jam session) and I fell into a very reflective mood.

If it had not been for DJML, I would never have found these new friends and
had this experience.  I discovered that the SJJ has become a sort of “family
reunion”.  I was missing Jan Nichols.  Then, at the Bloody Mary Party the
next morning,
It was great to see “old” friends and meet those I had only known by name.

 I kept looking for Bill Gunter
 WHERE WERE YOU BILL?  I know, those duties
as announcer for the Parade takes precedent.
  and Bob Williams was not
there.  Listmates Cary Hobbs didn’t make it this year, nor fellow Texan
George Thurman
.  Then I thought about last year when Tommy Loy was there.

If it had not been for DJML I would not feel the hurt when one of our
members passes on.   I remembered listmates we have lost since I have been
on this list.  Ron Halstead (Australia, whom I never met), Carol Thompson
 Florida whom I DID meet), John Norris, (Hawaii) and so on.   Also we have
lost spouses of listmates and extended family members such as Jim Bebee’s
granddaughter, that have caused me sadness.

SO this past Memorial Day, I was thinking of our DJML family.

Rebecca Thompson