[Dixielandjazz] SacJazz Vignettes (Part Two)

Judy Eames jude at judyeames.co.uk
Mon Jun 2 12:51:59 PDT 2003

 Hi Dan,

Thank you for the kind words.

>Roy Hubbard ..............problems with a feisty audience front row of jazz
'experts', (but Mr. Hubbard acquitted himself well and in
fact i think won the exchange).

No doubt about it Roy usually wins such exchanges and is happy to
incorporate hecklers into the act.  Indeed in England he expects it from
the regular fans  :-)

> Judy Eames .... rendition of a song in which she pointed out to a young
>male in the audience

I was lucky that the only very young man in the audience was happy for me to
sing to him... sometimes they get embarrassed (sometimes you can't find even
one of course:-) )

Strange to say, just as I came off the stage, Steve Mellor walked in.  I
learned that song, "Aged and Mellow" from his wife; a wonderful singer;
Marylin Middleton (Pollock) who came from Chicago but has lived in the UK
for many years. You were right about Steve, he'd been called to sub with the
Climax band at very short notice.

I'm afraid we didn't actually get to hear the band as our host had  arranged
a dash to Cal Expo so that we could hear the Boondockers. Unmissable, even
though I've seen them on several occasions.

Incidentally, you can get a superior sort of host/driver at Sacto; Zenith's
was Henry Heydt, who played trumpet with Stan Kenton and Woody Herman in the
50s.

We had a wonderful fortnight, caught up with old friends, especially Billl
and Bev Gunter whom we first "met" on this list,  made some new friends and
hope to be back again soon. In the meantime, if any of you are coming to
Bude or Upton , we should have a Face 2 Face.

Jude

,.

Judy Eames
Kaminsky Connection