[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Mouthpieces Questions

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 18:54:39 PDT 2003

After years trying to find a comfortable mouthpiece, I finally "pieced" one
together from Giardinelli.  I use a 6S with a Semi-Flat rim, and #2 backbore.
It works for me.

Finding the "right" mouthpiece is a very personal and long process.  I would
recommend getting "The comparative mouthpiece guide for trumpet" and start by
locating the mouthpiece currently being used.  From there, you can get an
understanding of how a mouthpiece is constructed and discover where the problems
lie with the current mouthpiece.  (Whether the rim feels comfortable - if the
tone is too shrill/dark/muffled - if the notes being produced easily, etc.)

Once you reach this step, you can try to find a setup that meets your
individual specifications.  That is how, and why, I chose Giardinelli.  They had a 3
piece mouthpiece that would allow me to choose: Rim style, as well as, size;
cup depth and design, and backbore taper.  Best of all, the parts are
interchangeable, so the trumpeter has the ability to piece together the mouthpiece best
designed for any given situation.

It isn't a quick process, in fact, it can be laborious.  However, the end
results are better than simply trying 17 different mouthpieces from 3 different
manufacturers.

Hope this helps,
Lewis D. Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC
The Bourbon Street Brass, Buffalo, NY