[Dixielandjazz] The Death of Dixieland Jazz

Custode at aol.com Custode at aol.com
Thu Jul 31 18:34:17 PDT 2003

> Tell it to Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton, B.B. King, Bob Dylan and a host of
>
> others who are still drawing magnitudes of fans and youth because they are
> still popular because their music was good and endured the test of time, and
> was
> also constantly marketed to new audiences.
>
> So was Mozart. Wagner and all the other greats of music.
>
> If OKOM is to die it is the fault of the OKOM players who failed to
> perpetuate their influence and love for the music to younger generations who
> would
> indeed embrace it and embellish upon it and find a way to make it their own.

Tom,

I read your posting and found it very interesting, as well as, insightful.
The paragraph above illustrates that you truly have a handle on the problem
facing OKOM.

As a member of the "Queen City Jass Society of Buffalo NY," I approached the
Board of Directors last fall to voice my concern regarding this same issue.  I
cited that while we truly enjoy great support from the active members of the
society (I am the leader of a local Traditional Jazz Band), I had noticed a
decrease in attendance in recent performances (because of failing health issues,
deaths, etc.) with no added "new blood."  It was my contention that unless
interest was spawned and nurtured in younger generations, our beloved style of
music would all but disappear from local music venues within the next 15
years.  With reluctance, most of the members in attendance agreed.

To address this problem, I recommended a number of proactive measures, one of
which will be implemented this Sunday.  On August 3, 2003, -  The Queen City
Jass Society will host their first ever (and hopefully, annual) FAMILY  DAY
PARTY from 5-8 PM @ Sean Patrick's Restaurant, Millersport Hgwy, East Amherst
NY.  All members have been encouraged to bring younger family members (who are
not members of the society) to the event, free of charge.  The idea is to
introduce OKOM to this generation.  It is my belief that once exposed to
traditional jazz, younger people will develop an affinity with the style...especially
if it is presented in an energetic and inviting atmosphere.  At 42 years old, I
am not your average-aged Dixieland Jazz lover/listener/performer.  I simply
grew-up listening to Al Hirt from an early age, and consequently fell in love
with the music.  It is my contention that what inspired me, can and will
inspire others.

What motivated me to respond to your posting was not only your insight to the
problem, but more importantly, the reaction of the other
readers/participants.  Those who point to national festivals and the large crowds they draw in
opposition to your point of view, are simply kidding themselves.  The reality is
festivals actively and aggressively promoted on a national and/or high profile
local level are  usually well attended.  Such venues become a focal point,
and because of such, draw attendees.  However, to use this as an indication of
renewed or initial interest is flawed.  The future of OKOM rests solely at the
local, casual venue level.  It is here that ongoing interest is spawned and
nurtured.

The advice I offered to my own home society is the same offered here.  To
address this problem, societies across the country need to become proactive.
They need to first acknowledge the problem, and then approach it in a positive
sense.  Our First Family Day goes off this Sunday.  Hopefully, many members of
the Queen City Jass Society will bring family members to the event.  If they
do, it will be the first step in developing the next generation of OKOM
devotes.  If they do not, those in attendance will have a great time, enjoy great
music, sing, dance, and at the end of the day, say: "This was such a great
time...I wonder why more people didn't come?"

Lewis D. Custode, Jr., CLU, ChFC
Bourbon Street Brass, Buffalo, NY
trumpet/leader
<A HREF="www.myfinancialpro.net/custode">LDC Advisory Services</A>