[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland on clear channel radio?

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Thu Jul 31 12:49:25 PDT 2003

Rocky Ball (Bigbuttbnd at aol.com) wrote:
>This "Will Dixieland ever be popular again?" thread hits pretty close to
>home, for me....

I enjoyed Rocky's many thoughtful comments--great perspectives, just when
guys like me were getting repetitive. One of Rocky's ideas that might be a
real possibility is a Traditional N.O./Dixieland Jazz clear channel
station. That's of course by subscription only, so our niche audience would
have to be large enough to ju$tify putting it on with the others. I don't
know much about clear channel except that at a Bed & Breakfast I stayed
recently, it came via the TV and I had a choice of many kinds of music, and
friend who travels a lot has it on his car radio. At the B&B I surfed
around but stuck with jazz (which was all modern, as on most regular
radio--separate channel for smooooth jazz). Jazz fans and other general
subscribers would likely surf to an OKOM channel and find something they
didn't know they'd enjoy. The niche wouldn't swell to a raging comeback but
could become a wedge and an open door. One among many prospects that others
have mentioned.

Optimistic and only slightly insane,

Charles Suhor