[Dixielandjazz] College Students and Jazz

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 31 11:04:58 PDT 2003

Hi List mates:

Here is the report the Drexel University student wrote about the recent
BSJB concert he attended. The university's course on "The History of
Jazz", required each student to attend a real live jazz performance and
report about it.

Some errors in song writing attributions, eg Walter Melrose as the
writer of Tin Roof Blues, but that is a small thing compared to the fact
that a college kid like an OKOM jazz performance.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

The Barbone Street Jazz Band

While the average age of The Barbone Street Jazz Band members is 70
years old, you would never know it from their dynamic performance. The
Barbone Street Jazz Band is a 6-piece ensemble that has learned to
master their art while playing along side of some of the greatest jazz
legends of the 1940’s, 50’s, and 60’s. They have performed with historic
performers that include:  Lester Young, Coleman Hawkins, Max Roach, Mel
Torme, Louis Prima & Kelly Smith, Roy Eldridge, Gene Schroeder, Walter
Bishop, Sidney Becket, Al Hirt, Yank Lawson, Bob Haggart, Pete Fountain,
Charlie Ventura, Thelonius Monk, Ben Webster, Billie Holiday, Peggy Lee
and Clifford Brown.

The Barbone Street Jazz Band is one of Delaware Valley’s most popular
jazz bands. The band members include: Steve Barbone leader on the
Clarinet ? 52 years of playing jazz, Paul Grant on the Trumpet ? 38
years of playing jazz, Glenn Dodson on the Trombone - 54 years of
playing jazz, Joe Mongillo  on Percussion - 45 years of playing jazz,
Sonny Troy on the Guitar - 44 years of playing jazz, and Ace Tesone on
the Bass - 55 years of playing jazz.

This band is rich in history with an easily recognizable blend of Swing
and New Orleans style jazz. They are a traditional jazz band with
clarinet, trumpet and trombone on the front line and a rhythm section
that includes the drums, bass, and guitar. Almost any song can be
"jazzed" up with a New Orleans beat. New Orleans Jazz has a swinging,
stomping, syncopated beat that makes you want to dance! It also has a
wonderful melodic quality that some might say sounds today. However, the
way this band plays the music is far from dated.

What sets jazz apart from the music that preceded it is the way the
musicians improvised--it was a vehicle for personal expression for both
the musicians and the dancers. In 1976, jazz historian Al Rose wrote a
definition of New Orleans-style jazz, which was eventually adopted by
the city government. It reads: "Jazz is two or more musical voices
improvising collectively in two-four or four-four time on any known
melody and 'syncopating.' "

The key element in the show was the celebration of Louis Armstrong’s
102nd Birthday. Louis Armstrong was born on August 4, 1901, in New
Orleans, Louisiana, the birthplace of jazz. They started out the concert
with the "Struttin’ with BBQ" in his honor. Then the concert proceeded
with a rendition of  "Ain’t Misbehaven’" by Fats Waller, this tune was
upbeat and swinging. The 3rd song was the first protest song ever
written in 1910 by Ford Dabney, "That’s why they call me shine". "Basin
Street Blues" by Spencer Williams followed this song, which accented the
trombone player’s talent along with Steve Barbone on the clarinet. The
5th song, "Rosetta" was written in 1933 by Earl Hines. This rendition of
"Rosetta" shows the drummer’s talent with a toe tapping solo.  "Tin Roof
Blues" by Walter Melrose followed this song, which portrayed the skills
of Sonny Troy with a great guitar solo.  Last but not least, they ended
the night with great rendition of "Sweet Georgia Brown", which had
strong solos from each band member ? just great!!

I was here for an assignment for class but to my surprise I actually
enjoyed myself.  For my first jazz concert, the Barbone Street Jazz Band
has exceeded my expectations. The raw talent and vitality of the band
was awe-inspiring. Their performance can only be topped with their
musical interludes with stories and experiences from working with jazz
giants that I have only read about in books. I left the concert not only
with a great admiration for the music but also a great appreciation for
the history of jazz.