[Dixielandjazz] Re: Radio days

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Thu Jul 31 01:52:34 PDT 2003

Yeah, Bob, it was me that asked about Opie Cates, whom I recalled from his
spot on the old Judy Canova radio show with Mel Blanc. Opie also was a
character on the show with lines as well as his solo spot.
How neat to see Zeke Zarchy amongst us, and welcome to a great player I
heard often growing up in the L.A. area, thanks to my dad knowing so many of
the fine players there and introducing me to many of them, even before I
became a player myself..
I recall Zeke's time at the Hangover. I used to sneak in and Duncan (owner)
used to stick me in a corner where the booze inspectors wouldn't see me,
underage as I was to be there. Loved the big full-keyboard,two-fisted piano
of Stan Wrightsman. His Jump album with Van Epps and Eddie Miller (trio)
still gets some play time thanks to the 10" reissue LP that Clive put out.
I had all the old 78 singles he put out, and the forgotten Chuck Mackay
sides were the most worn. Chuck later went to work with dad's band for
several years, and I was somewhat in awe to have been his replacement when
he left. (Nepotism still gets you gigs.) Way over my head compared to Chuck,
but it helped pay my college bills.
This news that Zeke is aboard is good to hear. His work on your Great
Pacific band was terrific. He did some of the Armstrong tunes better than
anyone I'd heard in many moons. What chops.
Thanks for the news.
Don Ingle