[Dixielandjazz] RE: Zeke Zarchy

Ittzés Tamás bohem at mail.datanet.hu
Thu Jul 31 00:00:22 PDT 2003

Yes John, Zeke was over seventy at the time of the recording. I believe, he
was 81, when he came to my Festival in 1996 (actually, as a sub for Doc
Cheatham who had knie operation and lung or whatever problems and his doctor
did not let him fly over although he was packed and ready to come). I called
Zeke on Wednesday morning and he arrived on Friday night to Hungary and
played with us next day and two more concerts afterwards. Great chops, lots
of energy, impressive, easygoing, very nice lad. The Great Pacific Jazz Band
CD is indeed wonderful, all top musicians (Zeke, Bob Ringwald, Bob Havens,
Jim Turner etc.). There is something in Zeke's tone that is (for us,
Europeans) very American: I think, nobody, or not many people can play with
such intensity but at the same time pureness and valvet-like soft tones.
(Probably not many players can do this in the US either.) My trumpet player
told me that the main difference is in the basics, ie. sound building thus
tone production in the US is much better. (I don'T know how Zeke was taught
but probably had a good teacher in his youth - the "rest" comes from his
soul.)

Tamas
Tamas ITTZES - violin teacher, ragtime pianist, manager
Kodaly School, Bohem Ragtime Jazzband, Kecskemet Jazz Foundation
Address: Kecskemet-Hetenyegyhaza H-6044, Hullam u. 14.
Mailing address: Kecskemet H-6001, Pf. 652.
Cellular phone: +36(20)960-7169, Tel./Fax: +36(76)472-438
E-mails: bohem at mail.datanet.hu, bohemragtime at hotmail.com
Website: http://www.bohemragtime.com/

John Farrell wrote:
Years ago one of my American friends sent me a tape of Zeke playing
Armstrong related tunes with the GPJB.  Not since Satchmo's original have I
heard the opening trumpet cadenza of West End Blues played with such
impressive authority with no loss of power on the dogwhistle notes. Correct
me if I'm wrong Bob, but I understand that Zeke was in his late 70s/early
80s when those recordings were made?  A truly astonishing musician and a
great, great band,  a pity it is no more.