[Dixielandjazz] Zeke Zarchy

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Jul 30 19:00:07 PDT 2003

Bob Ringwald said :

" In aprox 1980, when I moved to LA, I became aquainted with Zeke & when I
 formed my Great Pacific Jazz Band, Zeke was my trumpet player."

Years ago one of my American friends sent me a tape of Zeke playing
Armstrong related tunes with the GPJB.  Not since Satchmo's original have I
heard the opening trumpet cadenza of West End Blues played with such
impressive authority with no loss of power on the dogwhistle notes. Correct
me if I'm wrong Bob, but I understand that Zeke was in his late 70s/early
80s when those recordings were made?  A truly astonishing musician and a
great, great band,  a pity it is no more.

John Farrell
stridepiano at tesco.net