[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland - Future, Past - Who Cares? Justplay...

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Wed Jul 30 18:21:34 PDT 2003

Charlie Hull said :

" The 'swing' bands that got the tv appearances, commercials, and big pay
gigs
were the kids who gave their band a crazy name, dressed in zoot suits and
 put on a high-energy show (entertained).  Swinging? Not very.  Usually
 overplaying some Louis Prima riff tune with no semblance of true swing."

I would rather stay at home sipping a malt than play in a band like that, no
matter how much money was offered. If that's entertainment you can keep it -
give me badly paid, honest-to-goodness, beadless, unadulterated jazz every
time.

John Farrell
stridepiano at tesco.net