[Dixielandjazz] The Merseysippi JB >> Famous Again !

Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com Andy.Ling at Quantel.Com
Wed Jul 30 17:39:28 PDT 2003

> Well, sorta I suppose. Apart from them, George Shearing and Claire
Martin I
> can't say as I have ever heard of any of the others. Correction, I do
> recall Guy Barker did a Bix 'thing' with Keith Nichols about 10 years
ago.

> Do any UK listmembers know who was actually nominated for these awards ?

Sorry I can't help with the question, but last night's edition of
Front Row on radio 4 had and interview with Esbjörn Svenson the
winner of the best international. It was worth listening to and
can be heard at :-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/arts/frontrow/ram/2003/frontrow20030729_esbjorn_svenson.ram

These guys have been together for years and been playing all that
time. He recalls how he met the drummer when they were 2 years
old (yes two) and how his first drum kit was made of paint tins.

The music isn't OKOM, but it is still very enjoyable and not too
"far out" that even the odd moldy fig might enjoy it.

Yet another take on keeping jazz alive

Regards

Andy Ling