[Dixielandjazz] JAZZ IS TRUTH - AND SHALL PREVAIL

tito martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Wed Jul 30 04:31:44 PDT 2003

Dear listmates,

I've been following with interest the great thread about  Saving
Dixieland Jazz. As some of you knowing me may guess, I'm much more in
line with Barbone-Wiggins-Kash Jazz Rebels than with
Gunter-Farrell-Suhor Dixie Sunseters.  ;-)=20

>From my side I keep striving and playing and spreading Jazz around in
Schools, Clubs, Television, Bars, marriages, even a Funeral, and can
grant you all that down here in Brazil I have much work to do with my
Jazz Band.=20

To my mind, what is essential and original in Jazz, Dixieland/original
New Orleans style/ Condon Style etc. is THE SPIRIT. African Drums,
European Harmony, collective improvisation within a simple and danceable
musical frame. This is the SPIRIT.  Once we musicians get the spirit we
can do as many changes we want, the spirit will remain and the best
music will survive.  And "it don=92t' mean a' thing if it ain't got that
swing".=20

About public, what Barbone does is the right thing: go to the places
where young people gather, and play them OKOM!

Now my contribution to sum up and end this thread: I'm finishing the
music to these lyrics.

=20
JAZZ TO HEAR
words by W. Shakespeare and Tito Martino
Music by Tito Martino

VERSE:         =20
Ah, the jazz years were sweet, and we had a good run.
We partied all night and we hid from the sun.
Jazz to Hip-Hop in one hundred short years!
You can't call that progress, not if you have ears.
What happened to music? Pray tell, where did we goof?
What happened to JAZZ? What happened to TRUTH?

CHORUS:      =20
Jazz to hear, why hear=92st thou Jazz sadly?
Blues with blues war not, joy delights in joy.
Why lov=92st thou that which thou receiv=92st not gladly,
Or else receiv=92st with pleasure thine annoy?

If the true concord of well tuned horns,
By unions married, do offend thine ears,
They do but sweetly chide thee, who confounds
In singleness the parts that thou should=92st bear.

Mark how well the banjo strings, resounding clear they ring,=20
Striking each in each by mutual ordering;
Giving ground to trumpet, clar=92net an=92 trombone,

Who, all in one, one pleasing chord wail;
Whose speechless song, being many, seeming one,
Sing this to thee: =93JAZZ is TRUTH, and shall prevail=94.

As soon I finish an Encore chart I'll send it to the List.

Cheers to you all, it's a great List,

Tito Martino=20
Sao Paulo Brazil.

---