[Dixielandjazz] Trumpet Mouthpieces Questions

william crist mensa-1 at webtv.net
Tue Jul 29 22:30:15 PDT 2003

Some dumb questions.

I recently bought on Olds Pinto trumpet
that came with no mouthpiece.  I am no trumpet player , but wanted to
try to play a little.  I played trombone for several years , from the
40's to the 70's but haven't played in several years.
I have a Holton mouthpiece that I tried but it seemed to take too much
air to blow.    I picked up a Bach 3 C which is much easier to blow.
My question is : what is the differences in the designations on the Bach
mouthpieces ?  I know they run from 1 to 20 and A thru F. I think the
numbers designate rim size and the letters cup depth. I want one that
doesn't take a lot of lung capacity to blow since 50 years of smoking
have reduced mine.
I don't want to reach stratospheric notes like Maynard Ferguson, just
lower to middle range .
Can anyone recommend a designation that I might be comfortable with.?
I have several other Cornets and Trumpets , some new and some used,
including 2 pocket trumpets most of which have generic mouthpieces. If I
can find a good mouthpiece I might try playing them.  One of the pocket
trumpets is very easy to blow and has a better feel and tone than the
other.

TIA
Bill Crist