[Dixielandjazz] Future of Dixieland Jazz/Bix fest

Charles Coleman charliew8fim at ncool.net
Tue Jul 29 13:32:38 PDT 2003

Hi, Listmates,
    I have followed this thread for the past week or so, and thought I would add my two brass farthings.
    1.    Anything that has worth will survive.   Love, Truth, Beauty and OKOM.

    2.    I see a scenario in the late 25th century where a group of young scholars find an ancient mp-368 file containing all the recorded Bixieland jazz of early 20th century (earth time).   (Note that the original  term "Dixieland" was changed in the late 21st century (earth time) by the Department of Political Correctness to avoid offending a group which was at the time amazingly considered an oppressed minority!)    These young people search the repositories of ancient instruments and find some well preserved Yamaha horns.   I might insert here that by the late 21st century Yamaha was the only manufacturer of interactive mechanical/acoustical musical instruments since most music at that time was computer generated.   These young pioneers take their finds, and by diligently studying the works of the ancient masters, recreate the music that we call (21st century earth) DIXIELAND, or OKOM.   And suddenly, to their amazement they start a trend that sweeps the entire galaxy.

3.    End of fantasy.    On another note, re: the Bix festival, we started attending in the early 1970's and quit going about 10 years ago when it started getting too commercial with the quad cities cashing in on the out-of-towners by having other events which strapped the local hotel/motel accomodations.  Maybe next year since it sounds like the band line-up is improving.   Would really have liked to see the West End Jazz Band and Ralph Norton's Bix band.

    Thanks to webmeister Ringwald for keeping this site going.

            Regards,    Charlie (do we not also serve who only buy tickets and listen?)    Coleman