[Dixielandjazz] realistic future for Dixieland jazz

Charles Suhor csuhor at zebra.net
Tue Jul 29 02:46:50 PDT 2003

I apologize if I overstated your negativism, Bill. Even looking at your
message below, though, I think it's a much darker view than is reasonable
to hold.

Again I acknowledge that popularity on a par with the musical rage du jour
won't likely happen. But with organized pressure, I can foresee Dixieland
recordings becoming a part of the repertoire of jazz selections played on
now all-modern jazz radio shows. I can see clubs hiring Dixieland groups at
decent salaries if good bands and smart promotion, aided by canny agents,
keep on plugging. I can see schools acknowledging the value of collective
improvisation a la Dixieland ensembles, for reasons of ear training,
historical perspective, and cooperation/group cohesion. And so on.

These are of course a judgment calls in a crystal ball, but I think they're
moderate goals that aren't wildly unrealistic. Who would have thought in
1947 that be-bop would become standard fare on PBS stations and as
background music at classy restaurants? Our culture evolves in interesting
ways, partly because some folks dare to make the improbable
happen.--Charlie Suhor