[Dixielandjazz] Bob Hope Tribute Story

Don Ingle dingle at baldwin-net.com
Mon Jul 28 17:56:12 PDT 2003

Dick: I have an old 12-inch acetate of a Command Performance radio show that
Bob Hope MC'ed. In it he made the introduction for Spike Jones' first ever
playing of "Chloe." He made a great intro and noted that the vocal was by
Red Ingle.
It has long been a treasure, and had been dubbed off earlier, happily so
since I cannot play 78's any longer and would be afraid to for its age. But
Spike did a number of radio shows on the coast, sustainers, played with
service audiences, and Hope was on several of these. His passing reminds us
that it was not just the vets of that war that are dying off at an
increasingly sad rate, but so too are the USO people that were there to take
the risks of a theater of war and entertain as Hope did so admirably.
God bless and rest friend Bob, you made our lives the richer for your
presence.
Don Ingle