[Dixielandjazz] Top 10/Dixieland--cut to the chase

TCASHWIGG at aol.com TCASHWIGG at aol.com
Mon Jul 28 15:23:59 PDT 2003

Hi Charles:

Now if some of these folks who do all the complaining and bitching about
Dixieland dying would go start their own club and promote this kind of music again
they would indeed find a willing audience that would continue to grow and
appreciate it.

But it is much easier to sit around and bitch about it with the old "There
ought be a Law mentality" Or somebody, or the Government should do something
about it.

They always blame everyone but themselves and stay in total and complete
denial about the situation.

Well, the Big Yellow gig Bus ain't gonna stop at their house and take em off
to a good gig.

What will soon stop there is a long shiny Black vehicle to take them on their
last ride, oh but they would have the courage to take the words from "The
House of The Rising Sun"

Oh musos don't do it they way I have done, spend your life pining and waiting
for them to reopen the House of The Rising Sun.  Get off your duff and go
open one of your own, and you can play seven nights a week for as many hours as
you care to stay open, and if you pay for your own drinks and food and all your
FANS and friends do too you can afford to have all the fun you can handle and
make a profit too.

But no most Jazz societies would rather go rent a hall with no decor, or
ambiance, put in old long banquet tables and sit around in the bright lights of
florescent, and paying out all their money for somebody else's liquor.

The end result is they have a party and the hall gets paid, the bartender
gets paid, the janitor gets paid, the tables get paid for, the cook gets paid,
the waitresses get paid, but the poor underemployed musicians are expected to
work for minimum wage or less to attract and entertain everyone.

It is way past High time for the Single most important ingredient of this
mixture for happiness and good times to reverse this situation and demand that
Only the Best professional bands be hired, and the others can play for free, but
at least let some professional guys make a decent living and support their
families.

Try to get a Lawyer or Doctor to do legal work or Brain surgery for you on
the wages they expect to pay for professional musicians.

We have fun too, making everyone else have fun, that is our job and we do it
well.
We do get paid very well to do it too, so if you don't want to pay for
quality then you will get what you pay for.

We have a money back guarantee on our show folks, If your audience does not
like our show and have a good time we will give you back our fee, minus
expenses of course.

Since 1990 Not one person has ever legitimately asked for any money back, so
we must be doing it correct.  And we ain't cheap either.

We have met the enemy and it is US.
Cheers,

Tom Wiggins,

Saint Gabriel's Celestial Brass Band