[Dixielandjazz] is it in a decline?

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 28 01:59:44 PDT 2003

Hi all, and especially you, Kash -

>Ok, I did mention I hadn't seen the whole thread.  Still, if you're
>wishing for Dixieland to be in the mainstream again, you would have to
>pull a "Back to The Future" stunt.  As you say, "that ain't gonna
>happen".  However, I don't see why bands can't continue to play and have
>a good following, if they are a decent band that plays good, happy
>music.  Perhaps the festival type playing in the U.S. is the downfall,
>as the audience just dies off.
>
>Better to play parties, street concerts, parks, clubs (if they are any
>in your area), than the occasional festival.

That's one of the best evaluations of the current status of dixieland I've
read. As Tex Wyndham says, dixieland as an art form is destined for the
museum. But dixieland as a day to day event by bands who book gigs at
supermarket openings and street concerts and parks and clubs or any old
venue that's looking for some happy music will live forever. They won't do
anything to regain the "POPULAR" music label but they'll continue to work as
long as they want.

Thanks, Kash!

Bill Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com