[Dixielandjazz] Top 10 Reasons--decline of Dixieland Jazz

John Farrell stridepiano at tesco.net
Sun Jul 27 12:00:03 PDT 2003

I'm with Bill Gunter on this - no matter which way you slice it the
Dixieland genre does not have the mass appeal enjoyed by pop music. That is
an incontrovertible fact. It has been suggested that this state of affairs
could be changed by employing a professional publicist to win the hearts and
minds of the public, I do not believe that for one moment, it is wishful
thinking.

When I first read the book entitled "They All Played Ragtime" I came across
a chapter heading which read "Convince a man against his will, he's of the
same opinion still". That statement is also an undeniable fact. No amount of
coaxing, persuading, bullying or cajoling is going to make a person embrace
music which does not appeal to him. This is particularly true of the young
who like to be part of the herd, to listen to all the latest pop music and
to wear the current trendy clothes and haircuts.

It has been pointed out that bands such as Steve Barbone's get plenty of
work because he hustles for it, the inference being that if all other OKOM
bands followed Steve's example the popularity of jazz would revive. With the
greatest of respect to Steve, he has told us many times of how his audience
enjoy his bead-throwing, jokiness and other assorted hoopla none of which
have any bearing at all on the quality of music played by his band. We have
also heard how much in demand his band is in the Philadelphia area - but how
many people in San Francisco have heard of it? Or Seattle? Or New Orleans?
Or Dallas? etc. etc. It might be true that Steve has popularised his type of
presentation in his own backyard but he has certainly not popularised jazz
per se widely.

Jazz music, without the funny hats and striped vests and all,  has to be
accepted for what it is by a significant percentage of the CD buying public
before it can be described as being popular. I cannot see that happening in
the foreseeable future.

Running for cover,

John Farrell
stridepiano at tesco.net