[Dixielandjazz] Re: Dixielandjazz Digest, Vol 7, Issue 82

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Sat Jul 26 17:38:15 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/26/2003 1:57:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

> Subject: [Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Music Taught in Schools

If you'd like another opinion, it's not taught in schools because what is
easy to teach in jazz often is irrelevant to jazz playing or jazz understanding.
How many times have you heard "experts" write about meter, style, how one
evolves, and yet say really nothing about the soul of the music itself. These are
the same "experts" that try to teach us Dixieland is simply a crude preamble
to real, or sophisticated, jazz. Obviously, we're supposed to get over liking
Dixieland once we have the chance to hear to Bebop, or whatever happened in
jazz from 1950 on. It's the old rut that music "experts" and teachers too often
put themselves into. What comes later is always better. And it's such hogwash.
Is Mahler really better than Mozart?

Dan (piano fingers) Spink