[Dixielandjazz] The Gig

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 26 16:02:45 PDT 2003

I stand corrected. (by several) It was the clarinet player who couldn't
cut the part. And ironically it was Kenny Davern who played that music.
Just shows you that a guy like Kenny can do just about anything
including deliberately sounding less than great when the occasion calls
for it

Warren Vache Sr. corrected me too. His son Warren was the trumpeter and
also the music director. Vache Sr, and wife appeared in the crowd
scenes. And he reminded me that the music on the film was played by

Warren Vache Jr.,  Kenny Davern,  Dick Wellstood, George Masso. Milt
Hinton and a drummer who neither of us can remember at the moment. It
was one hell of a band and is a pity that we were never able to hear
them on "The Gig" in their true form. It would have been spectacular.

I have a video tape of it somewhere and will dig it out because it is a
neat movie and very relevant.

For those who have never seen it, get a copy.

Cheers,
Steve