[Dixielandjazz] Mixed race lineups, Chicago Style

Charlie Hooks charliehooks at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 24 15:20:47 PDT 2003

on 7/24/03 8:07 AM, Texasjazzlover at rebecca.e.thompson at verizon.net wrote:

I am afraid if we don't start trying to blend everyone, we will wind up like
Yugoslavia.

Well, yes, exactly: we're Balkanizing faster and faster.   I thought it was
on topic because the thread was racially mixed bands.   I thought I was
bemoaning their demise and suggesting the unfortunate reasons for it.

Stan Brager expressed the hope that kids who currently get along fine in
grade school might continue to do so; then Tom Wiggins suggested that they
would, if only the black culture would stop filling black heads with racist
ideas--much like Muslims teach hatred in their schools as a normal, even
admired, action.

I think this is on musical point because as jazz players we all miss having
the fine black musicians among us, yet they are dying off and dropping out
without replacements.   None are in sight.

Charlie