FW: [Dixielandjazz] Jazz slang

Kurt bowermastergroup at qwest.net
Thu Jul 24 10:05:26 PDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Kurt [mailto:bowermastergroup at qwest.net]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 12:37 AM
To: Bill Gunter
Subject: RE: [Dixielandjazz] Jazz slang

Bill,

I have a copy of Leonard Feather's "The Encyclopedia of Jazz" (forward by
Duke Ellington) Horizon Press, New York 1955.  He has an entire section
called "Glossary of Terms - used by jazz musicians".  Looks like there are
about 250 different words listed.

Here are a few examples:
Ax, Axe, n.  Horn, instrument (usually saxophone).

Bad, adj. Good.

BeBob, n.  See Bop.

Bean, n.  Dollar

Bop, n.  A harmonic, rhythmic and melodic extension of jazz, developed in
the early 1940's.

Chick, n.  Girl.

Dad, daddy, daddyo, n.  Cordial form of address.

Dig, v.  Discern, understand, observe, listen to, like.

Dixieland, Dixie, n.  Jazz in the style first popularly associated with the
Original Dixieland Jass Band, most often improvised by trumpet, trombone,
clarinet, piano, bass and drums.

Dog tune, n.  A song of no musical merit.

Hep, adj.  Obsolete among musicians, See "hip".

Hip, adj.  Sophisticated, aware.  ("I'm hip" means I know.")

Insane, adj.  Very good, exceptional.

Jim, n. Form of address.

Jitterbug, n. Person dedicated to wild dancing to jazz.

Longhair, n.  Classical musician of fan.

Moldy fig, n.  Partisan of early traditional jazz.

Nutty, adj.  Great, exceptional.

Pad, n.  Home, bed.

Pops, n.  Form of address.

Society band, n.  Band that plays innocuous commercial dance music.

Solid, adj.  Great, fine, commendable.

Square, adj.  Unsophisticated person.

Tin Pan Alley, n.  Imaginary location, symbolical of commercialized popular
music.

Zoot, adj.  No longer current among musicians.  Exaggerated, ostentatious
(of clothing).

Now, try to use at least one new word in normal conversation tomorrow.  Your
friends will "dig" it "Daddyo"!

Kurt