[Dixielandjazz] Max Collie - Indianapolis, and Art Hodes

Bill Gunter jazzboard at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 23 16:17:28 PDT 2003

Hi Eli,

You left off a couple of lines from your recitation of the second verse to
"Ace In The Hole":

>In contemplating the lessons learned from all this, I think wisdom is found
>in the  second verse of "Ace in the Hole:" (someone correct me if I'm
>getting this wrong)

I believe the second verse starts this way . . .

The more you hang around in good ol Frisco (New York, or whatever town you
want) town
You'll know that what I'm telling you is true
They'll meet you with a smile but you know all the while
They're only tryin' to sell you something new

then your lines pick up from there . . .

>Oh the stories that they're tellin'
>Of the lemons that they're sellin'
>And the hundreds that they're spendin' buyin' clothes
>
>Everybody knows they're lyin'
>It's the aces do the buyin'
>That dressed them from their head down to their toes.
>
>Some of them write to the old folks for coins
>And that is their ace in the hole.
>Others have pearls in the old Tenderloin
>And that is their ace in the hole.
>
>They'll tell you of money
>They've made and they've spent
>But not one guy can flash a big bank-roll.
>
>And they'll end up in the breadline,
>In their pockets not a dime
>When they've lost that old ace in the hole.

Respectfully submitted,

Bill "Love that song" Gunter
jazzboard at hotmail.com