[Dixielandjazz] Current Black and White Jazz Men

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 23 00:14:04 PDT 2003

Hi List Mates:

I'll pass along a redux on black and white jazz men in the Philadelphia
area in a couple of weeks.

The City is doing a photo shoot, with Mayor John Street (black) and all
the musicians on the "jazz scene" in the Philly Metropolitan area.
That's from South New Jersey, Delaware and Southeast Pennsylvania, The
date is August 5 at 9 AM (groan) in front of City Hall. It is a prelude
to the first annual Jazz & Poetry Festival here. All VERY modern jazz
there. I'll work on them for some OKOM at next year's festival.

I got an invite emailed to me a week or so ago, by the sponsor of the
shoot, WRTI FM 90.1. They are the local "Jazz" station and a part of
Temple University. OKOM on one hour a week. So far I've been informally
checking my jazz contacts. Very few Dixielanders have been invited and
so I am inviting them all, per instructions from the sponsor. Not
excluded intentionally, but probably because they are not on the radar
screen of the Jazz Literati locally. Probably the same all over the USA.

The photo shoot will, hopefully, be like "A Great Day In Harlem", which
I missed a half century ago because I was out of town. This time I plan
to be there and I'll get a count for you.

Cheers,
Steve