[Dixielandjazz] Re: Bix Biderbecke Copycats

HotJazzSync933 at aol.com HotJazzSync933 at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 16:46:46 PDT 2003

Hello Dixielanders,

    My name is Donald Rogan and I am new to the DJML. I have to say how much
I hate all those cornet players out there who try to play like Bix and play
all of Bix's material. If Bix was alive he would have hated to see these guys
practically try to re-incarnate his sound, etc. He was such a unique individual
musician and there is no reason to try and be Bix.

    Is it just me or is this world Bix crazy? There are other artists other
than Bix just to let you know! Here's another thing I'm a little pissed off
about:

    What ever happend to the trumpet? Is there no longer a trumpet in jazz?
Now it seems like "oh yea you're a cornet player". No more trumpet, sorry. If
you play trumpet, no way, you're not accepted. You have to play cornet. Cornet
has such a better sound, yea right! Its such bullcrap. What ever started these
"cornet" players to play like this grungy "wrong note" type of playing that
every player does? They try to make it seem like wrong notes are cool to play?
They make a wrinkly face and try to squeak out notes as if they are putting
heart and soul into it. You tend to find a lot of this at The Cajun in NYC. Not
to mention everywhere that Dixieland is played. Maybe someone will comeback
and revive trumpet. This cornet bullshit makes me sick!

                                                    -Don Rogan