[Dixielandjazz] African-Americans in Jazz

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jul 22 20:53:25 PDT 2003

Dick B wrote, in response to my post:

Jim I'm sure you mean Pony Poindexter.
Yep, that's the one.  Actually, if I remember, he may not have been the
best example I could have given, as he didn't really blow our stuff all
that well.  You could tell he had been around, at least!

Then, Dick goes on.........with a list of guys he played with in LA.  We
have often remarked that it is strange that we don't know each other,
however, I did the same rounds as he did, but just about 4 yrs earier.
I sat in with some of the guys he mentioned, such as:

Teddy Buckner, Alton Purnell, Teddy Edwards, Johnny St. Cyr, and Joe
Darensbourg.  That was in my "sitting in" days.  After that period, all
the names I have mentioned on DJML that I have worked with I actually
WORKED with....which is somewhat different than just dropping by.

Jim