[Dixielandjazz] Jazz Logo

James Kashishian kash at ran.es
Tue Jul 22 20:38:17 PDT 2003

Steve wrote:
>Jazz logo?  Put sex back into Jazz.

We're doing our bit over here!  We have a steady gig, every Tuesday nite
(TONITE's The Nite!) at a local drinking joint.  Now this ain't JUST a
drinking joint.  This is high class, with Ferraris double parked at the
door by the club's car jockeys.  And, the clientele?  All kinds, but
heavy on the divorcee looking for company (both sexes), and some real
classy working ladies.  (We now recognize most of 'em, as they're there
every week...different guy!).

Am I embarrassed to be in such a place?  Not at all, says Jim.  Just
remember where it all began, and figure we're keeping up the old image.
By the way, people smoke, but the air setup is excellent.  Full suited
men, fancy dress (what there IS of it!) for the ladies, mostly.

We get treated like kings....doormen opens the door for us.....sound is
all set up & ready for me to give the final adjust....drinks set up on
the bar before we even get there (they KNOW what we like!)....pay is
ready 2 minutes after I get off the set....doorman opens the door as we
leave!  We do two sets of 45 min with a 30 min break...from 11 pm to 1
am.  For us, that's an EARLY gig!

The audience?  Well, it's getting better, with more people listening &
applauding, but it's been a slow climb....due to the fact that "getting
a partner" is probably more on the mind than enjoying the band.  We
always play our best...from day one, when we seemed to be a bother
rather than entertainment, to now, when folks ask about us on a daily
basis.  Plenty of dancers, too, now, which is unusual in Spain.  (Of
course, it's one way to break the ice with the ladies...ain't it?)  They
particularly like the swing things....Glenn Miller things, etc., and
various Charlestons.  I ripped off the Charleston arrangement from a
Turk Murphy album years ago, and that's always a success..along with 5
ft. 2, Yes, Sir, She's My Baby, etc.

Months break in August, and we begin again in Sept.  Yep, put sex on the
logo......

Jim