[Dixielandjazz] wonderful

Hoog, Steve Steve.Hoog at rockhurst.edu
Tue Jul 22 09:38:24 PDT 2003

Simply wonderful.

No wonder this music has been allowed to die.  No wonder the world is in such a state of stink.

The answer to the high crimes, political corruption, and questionable legal practices of ASCAP and the RIAA, which have done absolutely nothing to help composers, is to go underground and obtain music without paying.

Just great.

So, then, Dick, what if I want to start scamming your produced discs from England?  Assuming that they're still available in retail circles, at least, that's going to cost you a little bit of money.  Not from ASCAP or RIAA either, since they're British discs.

What about the musicians, the actual performers, who make a little bit of cash from sales?  (well, if they've covered their own asses legally)  What about the Trust Fund?  Oh, that's the Union, another scam group.

You're stealing from me.  You're stealing from the future of recorded music.
Sure, the music industry has screwed up royally, and royalties, by adopting a head-in-the-sand attitude toward technolgical realities.  Sure, ASCAP has a well-deserved reputation for thuggery.  And, yeah, the whole copyright extension thing smacks of payola.  Welcome to America.
Does that mean you're right to try and circumvent the "proper" channels?  Does that mean you're right to take money out of the pockets of those that are trying to work within the system?

And we mourn the dearth of commercially available OKOM recordings.  No wonder.

It's my opinion, and I'm stickin' with it.  It scares me to think that I may be in the minority.

steve