[Dixielandjazz] Armstrong blindfold test

JimDBB at aol.com JimDBB at aol.com
Tue Jul 22 00:37:25 PDT 2003

In a message dated 7/21/2003 1:52:38 PM Central Standard Time,
lswain at penrose.com writes:

> I heard and saw Louis and Ella Fitzgerald from the first balcony at
> Symphony Hall in Boston when I was in high school in the early '50s.
> I was stunned by each of them.  But my take-away was simply that what
> I heard was just the best, and I have no clear recollection of what
> exactly how it went.

  Are you sure that it was Louis and Ella?  I would say that it was Louis and
Velma Middleton.  Louis and his group which included Velma did a concert that
was recorded and released at that time.  The magnificent "Satchmo at Symphony
Hall" recording on Decca.

This has been reissued on CD and contains monumental Armstrong and Teagarden
along with superb Bigard, Dick Cary, Arvell Shaw and Big Sid Catlett.  Louis
and Velma do their famous "That's My Desire."

Big Sid plays the worlds geatest drum solo on "Steak Face."

Get it.

Jim Beebe