[Dixielandjazz] Re:

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 18:07:31 PDT 2003

> <roadie at btinternet.com> wrote

I believe they are one and the same. The publicity here in the States lists him as
Brian but I think that is just an "Americanization" of "Birelli".

> and
>
> : BLUE NOTE 212-475-8592
> :
> : Tue & Wed: Anita O'Day
> : Thu thru Sun: Jon Hendricks
>
> Didn't realise Anita O'day was still singing ~ in all due respect, she must
> be pushing the boat out a bit by now <g> .......... Likewise Jon Hendricks.
> Remember seeing him with Dave Lambert and Annie Ross  @ the Gaumont in
> Watford circa April 1962 when they toured the UK with Count Basie. Though I
> have to confess my main memory of that concert was Bill and the Boys, in
> particular drummer Sonny Payne's workout on "Ol' Man River". What a band !!

Yes, both Anita O'Day and Jon Hendricks are still alive and performing. She is
probably over 90 and he is probably over 80. Bless them for their longevity and for
their passion to continue performing. New York seems to be a magnet for old timers
and was home base for Doc Cheathum and is home base for Les Paul. I believe Ms.
O'Day move to the big apple from LA a year or so ago.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone