[Dixielandjazz] Yank Lawson

Stephen Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Sat Jul 19 13:04:56 PDT 2003

John Petters mentioned Yank Lawson (polite snip) "still blowing a storm
in his mid 70s - but each note was measured. Its a case of less is
more."

Amen. I was luck enough to play on a few gigs with Lawson in the 1950s.
He was extraordinary. Also, I never got over how loud Lawson could play
with seemingly little effort. First time I played with him was at a gig
led by trumpeter Ken Butterfield. (Tbone player Charlie's son).
Lawson and Charlie B came by to sit in after a studio session. We were
all kids except for them and it was a thrilling lesson.

Kenny Davern is similar regarding volume. Both could/can play quite
loudly, without effort, and rarely need any sort of amplification. By
the same token, both are/were capable of playing softly with great
emotion.

Fine jazz musicians.

Cheers,
Steve