[Dixielandjazz] : Dick Cary

Richard Broadie richard.broadie at gte.net
Sat Jul 19 00:00:35 PDT 2003

Lisa Morrow McMickle's daughter, Christie,  lived is a separate house on
Dick Cary's property and rather took care of him and the place to the extent
it ever got cleaned up.  I met Dick while dropping off some dog food for
Christie.  He invited me in and asked if I'd mind if he finished some work
while we were talking.  I witnessed him rapidly writing a big band
arrangement, one part at a time without any master score.  He told me it's
simply in his head and all he has to do is put it on paper.   While talking
for about 30 minutes on a variety of subjects that I don't recall, I
witnessed him do an entire arrangement that his rehearsal band would run
through the following week.   I met several of his players at Leon's Steak
House in North Hollywood a few weeks later who told me this is the way Dick
always works, and that on the first run-through, they couldn't recall ever
needing to change a note.

Although invited several times, I never managed to attend his band's
rehearsal at his home.  I heard his excellent band at the Sweet & Hot
festival several times and was greatly impressed.  While his music was very
modern, you could still hear his roots, from which he logically extended his
music to a new and exciting level.   (Reminds me of speculation of what Bix
would have written or performed, had he lived 20 years longer - likely would
have sounded like Dick Cary.)

Dick lived in very humble surroundings that he was basically oblivious to.
They were surrounding that were his home and provided an environment  that
was obviously wonderfully conducive to his tremendous creativity.  I never
met anyone with so little in material things that felt so perfectly
comfortable in such surroundings.  Maybe Dick got it right.  When music is
the center of your life, the rest of the stuff just doesn't count.   In
spite of his physical surroundings, Dick was one of the wealthiest people
I've ever met.

Dick Broadie