[Dixielandjazz] Leonard Feather, ersatz hipster

Burt Wilson futurecon at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 17 16:11:50 PDT 2003

I am reminded of a story told about Sam Smith, the diminutive (and quite
belligerent)trombonist with the Scottish and Jan Sutherland jazz bands.
When Jan was playing in Victoria, BC, a young man came up to the band and
complained that this was american jazz, so how come there were no black
people in the band." Sam drew up to his full four-feet height and bellowed
at him, "F--- off!" The young man went away.

Burt Wilson
Silver Dollar Jazz Band